Apennine mountains

Apennine mountains

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Who stole the toilet?

Before coming to Europe, many people had told me to always carry a pack of tissue with me in my purse because many public toilets would not have toilet paper. OK, that was not a problem. I mean, you can always use tissue, right. Well, the one thing people did not warn me about was the actual toilet, or lack of one. In Italy, at the train station in Lucca there is a sign-W/C, meaning water closet.  I walked into the W/C at the train station in Lucca, and imagine my surprise upon opening the door and looking down at a hole in the floor. I stared down at the hole in the floor, a little perplexed, at first I thought the bathroom might be broken or maybe someone stole the toilet so I walked out. My husband said to me, "Whats wrong, you have the strangest look on your face?" I said to him, "There is no toilet, only a hole in the floor". My husband thought I was crazy at first, and he laughed. So I opened the door to show him, and we both stared down at the hole, then looked at each other, then back at the hole. Very strange. But, in times of desperation, you just need to whip out your pack of tissue and squat. Most cafe's or restaurants will let you use the rest room, but be prepared to pay if you are not a customer. They will charge anywhere from .25 to 1.00 euro. They do have full toilets though, with toilet paper.

No comments: